About Coach Popa…
Years at ENC: 17 (2003-Present)
Alma Mater: Eastern Nazarene
Playing Experience: Played tennis at ENC and played tennis growing up in Romania
Record: 218-256 (Combined) – 167-144 (Men) & 51-112 (Women)
More About Coach Popa…
- Serves as head coach of the ENC men’s and women's tennis teams.
- Named 13th head men’s tennis coach in program history in 2003.
- Coached women’s tennis program from 2007 to 2017 and returned as head coach in 2018.
- Serves on NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Northeast Regional Advisory Committee.
- Led ENC women's tennis team to its first-ever GNAC Tournament title in 2019 and program's first-ever NCAA Tournament berth in 2020.
- Guided ENC men's tennis to first-ever GNAC Tournament Championship, NCAA Tournament appearance, and NCAA Tournament victory in 2019.
- Collected his 200th career coaching victory April 2, 2019.
- Guided ENC women's tennis team to the GNAC Tournament semifinals in 2018.
- Has guided the men’s tennis team to nine Commonwealth Coast Conference Tournaments, including seven-straight trips from 2011 to 2017.
- Led the ENC men’s tennis team to the Commonwealth Coast Conference Finals in back-to-back seasons in 2017 and 2018.
- Has coached a total of 48 All-Conference honorees, six women and 42 men.
- Under his tutelage, three individuals have been named the Commonwealth Coast Conference Player of the Year – most recently, Alex Partyka in 2017 and 2018.
- Popa’s squad has also boasted back-to-back CCC Rookies of the Year with Alex Partyka in 2016 and Henry Siercke in 2017.
- In his tenure with the team, three student-athletes have earned the CCC Senior Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Andres Biondi (2017), Austin Steelman (2013), and Tyler Restrick (2010).
- Popa was voted the Commonwealth Coast Conference Coach of the Year in 2018, 2017, 2012, and 2006.
- Popa graduated from Eastern Nazarene College with a Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology and Psychology.
- He is an active member of the United States Tennis Association (USTA) and is a Certified US Professional Tennis Association Coach.
- Popa is an avid long-distance runner, having completed numerous marathons and ultra-marathons.
- Served as ENC head cross country coach from 2017-18.
- Originally from Bucharest, Romania.
- Married to Andrea Popa and has two daughters.